Vocabulary: June 10

10 Jun


Gripper Edge: On a sheetfed press, the leading edge of the paper that rests at the head stops and is grabbed by mechanical fingers known as grippers. The press operator typically marks the gripper edge with an “XXX” before sending the job to the binding and finishing area.

Hickey-Picking Roller: A roller that has synthetic  fibers embedded in its surface, to help it remove hickeys from the surface of an offset printing plate or to fill in the white ring on the plate surface. This roller replaces one of the ink form rollers.

Incline Press: A screen printing press in which the screen maintains a position parallel to the printing bed, but recedes diagonally during the feed/take-off cycle.

Leafing: The phenomena that occurs when metal flakes in metallic inks float to the surface of the ink, giving it a particular luster.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: